Soft and fluffy sandwich bread in less than 2h
Yesterday I tried this new bread recipe and it was another success 😋
What you’ll need for one loaf
- 2 + 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 + 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 + 1/4 cups warm milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg for egg wash (optional)
What to do
- Heat up the milk and butter in a pot (or in a microwave if you have one). Stop when the butter is almost all melted.
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt and yeast)
- Create a well at the center and add wet ingredients (milk and butter)
- Mix dry and wet until wet dough is formed
- Proof 5 min
- Mix again few seconds
- Proof 45min to 1h
- Grease pan with butter and flour
- Shape into a loaf then transfer into pan
- Proof 15min to 20min
- Brush with egg wash + 1 tbsp water (optional)
- Preheat 190°C then bake for 25 to 30min or until top is golden brown
- Brush the top with butter
- To test if the temperature of the milk/butter mix is right, put your finger in the pot. It should be body temperature ~37 to 40°C max.
- Egg wash before putting the dough in the oven
- I did it during the last proof by mistake and the top of the dough touched the towel at the end of the rise. So better do the egg wash right before putting the pan in the oven.
- All ovens are different. Adapt the cooking time to your oven.
- Baking time adapted for my oven: preheat at 225°C then bake for 20 to 25min at 200°C.
- Bread is ready when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Milk can be replaced with water.
- However, I’ve tried both version and I personally prefer the milk version. I’ll need to do some more testing but I think if you use water you’ll need to bake it a bit longer, like 5min more.
The original recipe is for 2 loaves. I wanted to do only one loaf so I adapted Chef Lola’s recipe and halved all the ingredients.